The award-winning book on the birth of modern skateboarding.
Over 1200 images and photographs illustrate this 912-page unprecedented work. A Secret History of the Ollie is the winner of six book awards, including three gold medals, and it was chosen as one of the Top 10 Photobooks of the Year by Mother Jones magazine. Regarded by many as "the bible of skateboarding," this is a book that should be in every home, school, and public library.
Caption: Alan "Ollie" Gelfand with a no-handed air at Skateboard USA in Hollywood, Florida, 1977. Photo: © Jeff Duerr
The Ollie book as mentioned on The Nine Club. — Watch it now on YouTube or see the book sale below.
(1) AMAZON: We received a message this week from Amazon that they are no longer accepting non-essential items from sellers for fulfillment. We understand this of course, but this means we are currently unable to replenish stock at their warehouses. Amazon only has the books they have and will not be getting anymore until this directive changes. To complicate matters further, Amazon also stated in the same communication they will not be shipping non-essential items either. While some of you out there might regard this book as an essential item, Amazon does not. If you order from Amazon, even if you have Amazon Prime, expect a wait.
(2) SANITIZED FOR YOUR PROTECTION: Remember those wrappers on hotel toilets? Please know that when you order a book from our website or eBay channel, there is only one person who handles and packs each and every book. Books are also handled with gloves, as they move from the sterile factory carton to the shipping box. At Amazon, it is a different story. Each book at Amazon is handled by a number of individuals during processing. Amazon also had a Covid-19 infection at its Queens, NY warehouse. (None of our copies were ever stored in Queens; the Ollie book is currently warehoused at their North Carolina facility.)
(3) PACKED WITH LOVE: The aforementioned person packing books is the author. All books sold from our website and from eBay are signed by him as they get packed, and if you want a special inscription in the book, please message us. But send the message quickly, because Craig is a fast packer! Note that Amazon does not sell signed copies.
(4) MADE IN THE USA: The virus may have come from China, but not this book. A Secret History of the Ollie was a passion project, and it was approached very consciously every step of the way, from the writing to the editing, from the design to the printing. Almost every book you own has been jobbed out to China, but not the Ollie book. It was our goal to do our part to support the USA and its work force, not a foreign economy. A benefit of printing in the United States was that our designers were able to go on press with the book for quality control. And finally, shipping from the printer to the warehouse was also less expensive (and faster).
(5) FINAL WORD: We wish each and every one of you safe passage through these turbulent times. Stay safe, please. Lastly, we want to thank all of you who have bought the book. You are helping support the arts through your purchases. Thank you again.
Hardcover, 9"x7"x2", 912 pages, over 1200 images and photographs. All copies of A Secret History of the Ollie from this website and eBay are signed by the author and come with an assortment of stickers and bookmarks.
Where to Buy
$42 plus free shipping, USA only. See "Add to Cart" button below.
$44.50 plus free shipping within USA
(CANADA + international shipping options)
SHIPPING DELAYS TO DUE COVID-19
$59.95 plus free shipping within USA
(international shipping options, excluding Canada)
Your support is appreciated when you purchase the book direct from Olliebook.com, or from eBay. Your purchases from Amazon.com are also welcome, but we discourage them due to the high seller fees that Amazon charges.
International shipping to Canada, Europe, Australia, Asia, etc. is only available from eBay.com and Amazon.com
List price: $60.00
Additional discounts for multiple purchases.
Skate Culture, October 2018
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
TOP 10 PHOTOBOOKS
Mother Jones Magazine
San Francisco, January 2016
BEST IN CATEGORY:
GENERAL TRADE ILLUSTRATED
58th Annual New England Book Show
Symphony Hall, Boston, 2015
BEST IN SPORTS
Independent Press Awards
New York, 2017
BEST IN SPORTS
NYC Big Book Awards
New York, 2017
Foreword Reviews' Book of the Year
American Library Association Conference, Orlando, 2016
20th Annual 2016 Independent Publisher Book Awards
BookExpo America BEA, Chicago, 2016
FAPA President’s Book Awards
"Everyone thinks they know skateboarding's history but what they really know is a series of half-facts compounded by hype and amnesia. This book will rewrite skateboarding history as we know it."
— Betsy Gordon, curator of "Ramp It Up," Smithsonian Institution
"[A Secret History of the Ollie] sheds a very bright light on a revolutionary time in skateboarding."
"Craig Snyder's work is much more than a secret history of the Ollie. It is a first-rate account of skateboarding….Set against the backdrop of the sun-drenched coastal towns of Southern California and South Florida of the 1970s, this book transports readers to the era in which the acrobatics of today's X Games were born."
— H. Michael Gelfand, James Madison University
A SECRET HISTORY OF THE OLLIE has been featured in STAF Magazine, one of Europe's premier contemporary culture publications, based in Malaga, Spain. The article includes some of the rare photographs from the book, a selection of page spreads, and a lengthy interview with Craig B. Snyder in both Spanish and English.
— Francisco Daniel Medina, STAF Magazine
ENGLISH, SPANISH, CHINESE, OR FRENCH?
Please take a moment to share your preferences in this super short survey; just click a few buttons and submit!
Click here to take the survey now!
Dimensions: 9.3 x 7 x 2.2 inches
Shipping Weight: 4.7 pounds
Printed in the U.S.A.
• TOP 10 PHOTOBOOKS Mother Jones
• BEST IN GENERAL TRADE ILLUSTRATED 58th Annu. New England Book Show, Boston
• GOLD MEDAL Foreword Reviews: Book of the Year Award in Sports
• BEST IN SPORTS
Independent Press Awards, New York, 2017
• BEST IN SPORTS
NYC Big Book Awards, New York, 2017
• GOLD MEDAL Independent Book Awards
• GOLD MEDAL FAPA President Book Awards